Senior Energy Storage Project Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Unspecified, IL 99999, US
Job Description SummaryGE Energy Storage provides innovative energy storage systems for stationary applications. It is a fast-paced business that includes design, engineering, services, and commercial organizations focused on developing energy storage solutions.
The GE Energy Storage business is adding new customers, expanding into new geographies, and developing new technology. The Senior Project Engineer – Energy Storage will support Energy Storage projects that are typically executed using an EPC (Engineering, Procure and Construct) or an Engineered Equipment Package (EEP) contract framework.
The Senior Energy Storage Project Engineer is responsible for all aspects of energy storage balance of plant system design including:
- Responsible for leading and coordinating all balance of plant technical aspects of energy storage projects including developing the single line drawings and schematics, plan and elevation drawings, general arrangement and site layout, relay protection and control requirements, layouts for LV/HV equipment, conduit, cable, wiring, grounding, and control buildings.
- In addition, as the technical leader for assigned engineering projects or program of projects, responsibilities also include activities such as schedule development & updates, supporting sourcing initiatives, value engineering, planning & tracking project design reviews, quality control/quality assurance, and contractor management.
- As needed, provide oversight and reviews of deliverables in the proposal/bid phase.
- Responsibilities include estimating or review of design man-hours and materials, conceptual design engineering, directing designers and draftsmen on drawing requirements, proposal documentation including BOM, writing and/or reviewing technical specifications, supporting sourcing for vendor quotations, developing clarifications and exceptions as well as technical responses.
- Single point of contact for technical issues for the customer and project manager.
- Direct the efforts of engineers and designers, coordinating with sourcing and project controls and the project team on technical matters to meet project specifications, cost control, and schedule objectives. Includes writing equipment specifications and contractor work scopes, requesting vendor quotations, evaluating quotations including but not limited to equipment such as HV/MV circuit breakers, switchgear, disconnects, LV/MV power transformers, MV/HV cable, and protection and control systems interface with customers and project team members and final commissioning.
- Coordinate with sourcing and the project team on technical matters to meet project specifications, cost control and schedule objectives.
- Will be accountable for team results in order to deliver a high quality product to customer CTQ’s on time and on or under budget.
- Define processes, procedures, perform RCA’s (Root Cause Analysis), perform corrective actions, and validate process control.
- Support quality initiatives.
- Mentor other engineers to develop their skills and support the execution of projects
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering (BSEE strongly preferred)
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time, both domestic and international for meetings, troubleshooting, and on-site commissioning tests for customer installations. You must comply with all relevant GE company travel and tax policies.
Desired Characteristics:Working knowledge of applicable design calculations such as UPS or battery sizing & DC system component selection, auxiliary power sizing, conduit fill, power transformer selection, circuit protection, control and power cable selection and rating, ground grid design, and lightning protectionEffective communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a team environment. The Senior Energy Storage Project Engineer must be creative, able to lead a team, and be accountable for team results in order to deliver a high quality product on time and under budget. Professional Engineering registrationMinimum of 10 years of experience in Transmission & Distribution substation or energy storage balance of plant engineering for utilities and renewable energy power plants and projects experience as an Electrical Project Engineer.Knowledge of and experience using IEEE or IEC standards and codes. Moreover, ability to engineer design packages when no clear customer specification is provided.Field-testing and commissioning experience with safe work habits. Demonstrated electrical and mechanical troubleshooting capability. Previous experience installing and operating power equipment a plus.Ability to develop and implement standards and structured programsGood presence in front of the customer with demonstrated commercial experience such as Project ManagementExcellent personal computer skills, including programming and design automation, and familiarity with AutoCAD/Microstation strongly desired.
- component selection
- power plants
- root cause analysis
- quality assurance
- site commissioning
- plant engineering
- renewable energy
- energy storage
- able to lead
- computer skills
- interpersonal skills
- system design
- power equipment
- effective communication
- contractor management
- process control
- project controls
- project management
- mechanical troubleshooting
- cost control
- lightning protection
- design automation
- conceptual design
- project design
- site layout
Who We Are
Did you know that about one in every 13 U.S. employees at GE is a veteran?
The GE Veterans Network (GEVN) was created to help veterans build successful civilian careers at GE, provide support to reservists and their families during deployment, and much more.
We are dedicated to investing in our veteran talent at GE as well as serving the local and national veteran community.
GE is deeply committed to hiring and supporting military veterans. Their skills, experience, and work ethic are unmatched–and essential to our future success as a digital industrial company.